Friday, September 23, 2011

Ramblings...

There is a huge anti-Pop-Out movement within the surf community. It's all over the web. You can find few counter arguments, although with much digging you can find some info.

I was restless, upset, and had trouble sleeping after finding out I had purchased a pop-out.

Well I can see both sides of the situation, especially those wanting to keep shapers in business and stay true to the art.

I must say...living in Maine, I know of no shapers. So I go to my local surf shop and talk to the guy and get info to see what he has to fit my needs. He puts me into a pop-out. Now, that's more profit in his pocket. This has to be somewhat good as it is keeping my local surf shop around. I would really be up a creek with no surf shops in the area.

Now I know a custom board is gonna be the bomb. I would say that is the case with any craft. But off-the-shelf items have their place too. Whether it be: guitars, baseball bats, gloves, golf clubs, running shoes, etc. I would say off-the-shelf or pop-outs are perfect for the beginner to intermediate. I'm not gonna get a custom Les Paul, although I would love to have one. By the same token, Eric Clapton is not gonna play a $200.00 Fender Squier Strat--while he might have in his youth (if such a thing existed). My point here is that as you progress in anything you will invest in the better stuff when the time is appropriate and your skill warrants it. Top level/advanced people in any field have custom stuff. Don't worry the shaper isn't going anywhere soon.

Believe me, Usain "Lightning" Bolt doesn't get his shoes off-the-rack. Do you think Tiger Woods gets his clubs off-the-shelf? I'm sure he did at one point.

I was just informed by my neighbor who owns a Steinway Grand Piano that she did not learn to play on a Steinway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a family friendly forum, Let's keep it clean