Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Observation

We are more connected than ever before, but I would argue that we are more disconnected. While smashed into a pill box, my captain says, "enjoy your flight." Is he kidding me? I have a window seat and there is this guy who sets up shop in the aisle. Trying to get to the bathroom is an Act of Congress. I have to get him to move his entire office. People are listening to ipods, reading their kindles, playing with ipads while others are texting the entire flight. Communication and interaction is at a loss. When I finally work up the nerve to go to to the bathroom, there is more pressure than there was asking. Now this guy is waiting for me to return so that he can set up shop once again.

I go to the Red Sox/Angels game and the girl next to me finally decides to watch the game in the 7th inning. She had no choice. Her battery was running low. Her parents got a chuckle when I mentioned this. She had front row seats and starts watching the game only when her smart phone was about to die.

Finally I'm rockin' out at the Circle (jerk) in SaMo. There are hotties everywhere, but they are all texting. It's not til I'm in the bathroom that I realize that I too am guilty of this convenience. We are so connected that we are disconnected to our immediate surroundings.

Enjoy the pleasures of a conversation with a stranger. Enjoy the moment. Don't let life pass you by. You're connections will be there when you return to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a family friendly forum, Let's keep it clean