Saturday, April 2, 2011

Good Luck


To Higgins Beach: Good Luck with your parking ban.

I was out for a long time today and catching a bunch of waves. I was riding one wave and this guy was paddling out right in front of me. You all know that's a major no-no right? Anyway, I was feeling confident, continued my ride and turned around him. When I went back out, I told him that was the first time I've ever done that (put the fear of God in him).

There was 15 of us scattered throughout and there was a good wait for waves. For the first time, I was in the best position to catch waves (best takeoff spot). That's why I was catching a lot. Then all of a sudden this guy on a canary yellow board starts snaking my waves. Once he started doing that my game went downhill quick. If he were in a serious surf spot, it would be lights out. If I were a better surfer, I woulda cleaned his clock. Paddling in the zone is a major no-no, but snaking waves is much worse...a cardinal sin.

Paddling Rules
When paddling back out, do NOT paddle in front of someone riding a wave unless you’re well, well in front of him. You must paddle behind those who are up and riding and take the whitewater hit or duckdive. You’ll appreciate this the next time you’re up on a wave.

Snake
Paddling behind someone who's in position to steal their wave.

“Snaking” is when a surfer paddles around another surfer in order position himself to get the right of way for a wave

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a family friendly forum, Let's keep it clean